For some reason I woke up one day last week with sausage and peppers on my mind. All day long I just kept thinking "WOW I really want to make sausage and pepper sandwiches for dinner". It was very strange actually since I have never made sausage and peppers. Not that sausage and peppers is a tough meal to make, I had just never done it.
I think I had sausage on my mind because Kevin had been talking about wanting to grill the sausages we had in the freezer. I wanted to accommodate his craving but the thought of plain sausage sandwiches just wasn't making my teeter totter ya know? So I was determined to do something a little more creative with them. The idea was solidified when I went to the store and bell peppers we on sale. Not that you break the bank buying bell peppers but paying $2.50 for two vs the $2.99 each they had been the week before made me happy. Ya gotta save where you can right?
I looked around at the other types of peppers and was going to grab a few different to spice the sandwiches up but decided that EVERYTHING doesn't have to be spicy. So I went with a poblano pepper to try to balance out the sweet bell peppers. Grabbed a white onion and was out the door with my bag of goodies.
When Kevin came home from work he had an instant smile on his face. "What is that wonderful smell?" were the first words out of his mouth. He came straight to the stove and his smile got even bigger. Then he said one of the sweetest things to me
Kevin - "You know I am such a lucky guy?"
Me - "Why do you say that?"
Kevin - "Because I have a beautiful woman that cooks wonderful dishes like this for me to come home to"
Me - "Aaaaaawwwwww"
Ok yes folks he did make a few points with me on that one!!
I added the cheese because, well, I just like cheese, and provolone is one of my favorites. I actually couldn't help myself and ate a slice while I was waiting for the sausages to finish cooking. Yummmm creamy, salty goodness!
Once they were done and I started filling up the rolls Kevin just kept saying "WOW" and "OMG those looks sooooo good". Topped them off with the cheese and popped them in the oven just long enough to melt it and yummmmmmmmmm they were good. I ate so fast I almost bit my own fingers!!
Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 fresh Italian sausages, hot or sweet (Turkey sausage can be used)
- 1 large white onion, cut in halved, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large red pepper, trimmed, seeded, ribs removed, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 large yellow pepper, trimmed, seeded, ribs removed, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 1 poblano pepper, trimmed, seeded, ribs removed, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 crusty sandwich rolls, toasted
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F