I am not a big breakfast fan. At least not of the time frame that breakfast is supposed to be eaten in. I am more of a brunch kind of girl. My kids grew up with Cherrios and Mini Wheats through the week. But on the weekends I loved to cook up something special. They were always excited to see what I would come up with. It could be something sweet (they loved my applesauce pancakes), or savory (one weekend my Mom and I decided to roll our own lumpia and that was breakfast), they just loved that Mom cooked.
The first time I ever made Pasta Carbonara they flipped out! My daughter said, "Mom you made breakfast pasta!". I think they thought it was an idea I came up with on my own. I had to let them know it wasn't my invention, but every time I made it they acted like I was a genius.
Since Kevin has been out of work for the last few weeks, he has taken over the brunch detail here. I will work while he cooks away, and I have to admit, it is kind of nice. But today I decided I wanted to cook something for him. When he asked what I was making, I told him "Breakfast Pasta". I of course got "the look", you know the one I have told you about many times before. I just told him to sit down, drink his coffee, and relax. I mean seriously, this look thing.......sheesh!
Of course when I brought him a bowl, and he tasted it, "the look" was replaced by a smile. I don't know why he doubts me!!
This is a great dish for any meal. How can you go wrong with bacon, eggs, and cheese?
Pasta Carbonara brings two favorites together in one dish. Pasta + breakfast. Could it get any better than that?
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg, plus one egg yolk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring a large post of water to boil, add salt and pasta. Cook per package directions. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy liquid.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and Parmesan cheese together.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and chopped bacon. Cook the bacon until it renders its fat, do not allow it to get crispy. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minutes, just until it softens. Add the hot pasta to the skillet, and stir to make sure it is coated in the bacon fat. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the egg mixture, whisking until the egg sauce begins to thicken. Thin out the sauce with the pasta water as needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chopped parsley. Top with more Parmesan if wanted
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 17 mins.
Tags: breakfast, Italian, pasta, eggs, bacon
Make sure to check out my page on Parade Magazine's Community Table
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!