I was so excited when I was asked to be a Whole Grains Ambassador for Whole Grains Sampling Day and Toast. Not because I know so much about whole grains. Actually much to the contrary, I know very little. But I have wanted to learn how to incorporate more whole grains into our diet and this not only gave me the opportunity to try and learn new things, but to be able to share that experience with you all.
I was like a kid at Christmas when my box of goodies arrived at my doorstep. I tore into it and couldn't believe all of the wonderful things it contained. Some of which I had never even heard of. We have already sampled many of the items, and I am pleased to report that we were pleasantly surprised by many of them. I think we, as many people do, just assumed that "whole grain" or anything healthier for that matter, meant bland Well that was far from the case!
In my box I received:
- Wheat Berry Chili Mix from Frontier Soups
- Mini Double Chocolate Chip Cookies from Home Free Treats
- Sweat and Spicy and Sea Salt flavored rice chips from Real McCoy's (these are gluten free as well)
- Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips from Way Better Snacks
- Evan's Heavenly Spelt Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Mix from Among Friends Baking Mixes
- Rye Bread with Muesli from Mestemacher Bakery
- Oatmeal Cookie Mix from Pamela's Products (also gluten free, wheat free, non dairy)
- Organic Triple Seed Crispbread from Engine 2 Plant Strong
- Gluten Free Muesli from Bob's Red Mill
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie from Fabe's All Natural Bakery
- Brown & Wild Rice Fusion from Goose Valley
- Cracked Freekeh from Freekehlicious
- Brown Rice Pasta and Einkorn Pasta from Jovial Inherently Good
Just to give you a bit of information:
- 81% of Americans say they are trying to eat more whole grains (raising hand)
- Corn has almost twice the antioxidant activity of apples, while wheat and oats almost equal broccoli and spinach in health-protective antioxidant activity.
- Refining wheat removes half or more of the wide range of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients - including 78% of it's fiber.
- Eating an average of 2.5 servings of whole grain foods each day can lower your risk of cardiovascular disease by almost one quarter.
- Japanese soba noodles, Russian kasha, and crepes from Brittany in France all have one thing in common: they are all made with buckwheat.
- Brown rice is not the only whole grain rice. Whole grain rice can also be black, purple, red, or any of a variety of exotic hues (this really sounds fun!)
- Whole white flour is made from an albino strain of wheat, and has the nutrition of traditional whole wheat flout - but with a lighter color and milder flavor.
- Switching from refined grains to whole grains helps acne to "improve dramatically" according to Australian research.
- Three servings a day of whole grains cuts blood pressure, reducing stroke risk by 15 - 20%, according to a 2010 study from Scotland.
- Sprouting grains increases many grains' key ingredients, including B vitamins, Vitamin C, folate, and fiber.
Wow right? I was so excited to find out all of that information! I have always thought that shole grains would help with weight loss and maintaining that loss but I suffer from pernicious anemia and Kevin has sky high blood pressure. I never knew that just changing a bit of our eating habits could help with those things.
So what is Sample Whole Grains Day? On the first Wednesday of April each year, consumers everywhere will have opportunities to try more whole grains, as supermarkets, manufacturers, restaurants, and other food service outlets all pitch in to lower the barriers to sample whole grains. Oldways and the Whole Grains Council created the Whole Grains Sampling Day with a three fold mission.
- To show consumers how delicious whole grains can be
- To encourage chefs to make whole grains an everyday offering.
- To give manufactures an opportunity to tout their whole grain goods.
So join us for a "toast" at noon EST on April 3rd. leave a comment here or tweet your favorite grain using #SampleWholeGain. Snap a picture of you enjoying a whole grain treat and share it online with your friends. and get the world going Whole Grain!!
Now, would you like an opportunity to win a box filed with all of these fantastic whole grain treats? Awesome right? OK here is your opportunity to win. Go for it!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclosure: I received a selection of whole grain products to sample but was not compensated for this post. All opinions are my own.