I think I mentioned a while back that Kevin has been in charge of making breakfast on the weekend for what seems like forever.
How was he assigned this duty?
I really have no idea. But trust me, I wasn't complaining.
I struggle to come up with breakfast ideas. I have just never been a breakfasty kind of girl, dunno why.
But I have decided to rectify that issue. So lately I have been making breakfast.
There is no method to my madness. Kevin never knows when I am going to do it, or what I am going to make. I just surprise him out of the blue.
I am kind of like a breakfast ninja.
One of my favorite things learned how to make when I lived in the south was gravy.
I can tell you that one of my favorite breakfasts ever is just good ol' biscuits and gravy.
I mean how can you go wrong with...
...warm flaky biscuits
...creamy white gravy
...and hunks of breakfast meat?
You can't, that's how!!
So do yourself a favor.
Get this breakfast in your face ASAP!!
Cheddar Biscuits with Peppered Ham Gravy
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning gravy
- 3/4 cup butter (cut into pieces), plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese. shredded
- 1 1/2 cups milk, separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cubed ham
- 1 onion, chopped
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a the bowl of a food processor combine 4 cups flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt, pulse a couple of time to combine. Drop in butter pieces and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour mixture into a large bow and add cheese, mix well. Using your hands, make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add 1 1/2 cups milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it just until dough holds together. Roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured biscuit cutter; re-roll scraps as necessary. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cubed ham and onion. Cook until ham is browned and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining butter and stir until melted. Sprinkle in the remaining flour and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk. Cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sage, and parsley, and season with salt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper.
- Serve over cheddar biscuits.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
Tags: Breakfast, cheddar cheese, gravy, ham, parsley,