I think I mentioned a while back that Kevin has been in charge of making breakfast on the weekend for what seems like forever.
How was he assigned this duty?
I really have no idea. But trust me, I wasn't complaining.
I struggle to come up with breakfast ideas. I have just never been a breakfasty kind of girl, dunno why.
But I have decided to rectify that issue. So lately I have been making breakfast.
There is no method to my madness. Kevin never knows when I am going to do it, or what I am going to make. I just surprise him out of the blue.
I am kind of like a breakfast ninja.
One of my favorite things learned how to make when I lived in the south was gravy.
I can tell you that one of my favorite breakfasts ever is just good ol' biscuits and gravy.
I mean how can you go wrong with...
...warm flaky biscuits
...creamy white gravy
...and hunks of breakfast meat?
You can't, that's how!!
So do yourself a favor.
Get this breakfast in your face ASAP!!
Cheddar Biscuits with Peppered Ham Gravy
The quintessential country breakfast updated with creamy peppered ham gravy and cheddar studded biscuits. It doesn't get much better than this!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning gravy
- 3/4 cup butter (cut into pieces), plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese. shredded
- 1 1/2 cups milk, separated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cubed ham
- 1 onion, chopped
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a the bowl of a food processor combine 4 cups flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt, pulse a couple of time to combine. Drop in butter pieces and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour mixture into a large bow and add cheese, mix well. Using your hands, make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add 1/2 cup milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it just until dough holds together. Roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured biscuit cutter; re-roll scraps as necessary. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cubed ham and onion. Cook until ham is browned and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining butter and stir until melted. Sprinkle in the remaining flour and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk. Cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sage, and parsley, and season with salt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper.
- Serve over cheddar biscuits.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 35 mins.
Tags: Breakfast, cheddar cheese, gravy, ham, parsley,