This weeks theme for Sunday Supper is "Sauce it Up".
Sometimes when I see the upcoming Sunday Supper themes I need a little time to think about what I want to make. This time I knew immediately.
I had been wanting to do something with pumpkin and apples. I wanted to make something that was versatile, something that could be used in a sweet or savory recipe. I settled on making pumpkin applesauce because I knew it could go with anything from chicken and pork, to oatmeal and ice cream.
Kevin had no idea I was making this, so when he came home from work he was happily surprised. He loves pumpkin.
I think I mentioned a week or so back that after 5 years I just found that out.
Way to be on the ball Bobbi!!
Anyway, as soon as he walked in the door he was greeted with a big spoonful of the sauce.
Me - Here, eat this.
Kevin - What is it?
Me - Just try it, you will like it!
Kevin - Famous last words!!
Me - Oh come on, you know I wouldn't feed you anything bad!Kevin - (after taking a bite.....and then the whole jar) This is for me right?
Me - Sure....good thing I made more than one!
The recipe actually yielded a little under 3 pints, so Kevin got one, I got one, and the kids will get one too.
4 golden delicious apples, cored, peeled, and chopped
1 cup water
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
In a large sauce pot, combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the desired consistency.
Remove from the heat and mash with a potato masher or a fork.
Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
Yields 2 to 3 pints.
And finally, please check out this week's Sunday Supper contributors:
- Port Wine and Fig Sauce from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Jalepeno Cranberry Sauce from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Homemade Steak Sauce from Juanita’s Cocina
- Tomato Kasundi from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Tartar Sauce from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Dairyfree Mushroom Sauce from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce from Curious Cuisiniere
- Red Wine Sauce | Molho de Vinho Tinto from Family Foodie
- Guava BBQ Sauce from Basic N Delicious
Pasta Sauces and Pastas with Sauce
- Chardonnay Seafood Sauce (with Linguine) from Country Girl in the Village
- Italian-Style Tomato Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Guiltless Alfredo Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Sicilian Marinara Sauce from Growing Up Gabel
- Basil Pesto from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Angel Hair Pasta with Neapolitan Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Lentil Marinara Pasta Sauce from Alida’s Kitchen
- Lamb Ragout from Maroc Mama
- Black Walnut Kale Pesto with Zucchini Spaghetti from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Amatriciana Sauce from The Weekend Gourmet
Entreés with Sauces
- Chicken Tikka Masala from I Run For Wine
- Pork Tenderloin with Plum Sauce from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Garlic Mushrooms In Red Wine Sauce from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Jack Daniel’s Honey Barbecue Baked Wings from Chocolate Moosey
- Salmon with Homemade Caper Onion Mayonnaise from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken with Mushroom Demi-Glace from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Mrs. A’s Skillet Lemon Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Philly Strip Steaks with Provolone Sauce and Caramelized Onions from The Texan New Yorker
- Sweet & Sour Garlic Chicken Wings from Big Bear’s Wife
- Banana Pudding Sauce from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Raspberry Red Wine Sauce from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Applesauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Sauce from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Applesauce from Citronlimette
- Apple Cider Caramel Sauce from The Messy Baker
- Port Wine Cranberry Sauce from Webicurean
- Pumpkin Caramel Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
Desserts with Sauces
- Sticky Toffee Pudding w/ Toffee Sauce from girlichef
- Salted Bourbon Caramel Sauce (over Chocolate Rosemary Cake) from Gotta Get Baked
- Pear Tatin with Rum Caramel Sauce from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Bananas Foster from MidLife Road Trip
- Baked Espresso Berry Pudding from The Urban Mrs
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.