Roasted Tomato and Garlic Pizza Sauce - Smoky roasted tomatoes, with sweet roasted garlic, make the best pizza sauce you have ever had! You will never go back to jarred pizza sauce again!!
I know I have been going on and on about my tomatoes this summer.
But I couldn't help it.
I was so excited that my epic failures at tomato growing were in my past and I actually had enough tomatoes to make something with!
I have made marinara in the past, so I knew I wanted to do a meat sauce sauce this time. I did, and the sauce came out awesome. But with the yellow and red tomatoes, well let's just say the color of the finished sauce was ummm less than appetizing.
So that recipe will have to wait util I can make it again and take a picture that would make you want to eat it and not dump it down the drain!!
So, what to do?
I decided that I wanted to make homemade pizza sauce.
I know, not much difference really. But I wanted to do a true homemade pizza and so I decided that the direction I wanted to go.
It ended up working out perfectly because I had 4 pounds of tomatoes in my last harvest. I needed 2 for each recipe. Fate was smiling on me it seems!
I decided that I wanted to do a roasted tomato and garlic sauce. I love the flavor roasting gives to tomatoes and garlic. I could seriously just eat them right out of the oven, without anything else. But I controlled myself because I was really excited about making this sauce!
My tomatoes were on the small side, so I cut most of them in half. Bigger ones I quartered to try and keep everything the same size. Aren't those yellow ones gorgeous? Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
Cut the top off of a nice head of garlic and drizzle it with olive oil. Wrap him up in some tin foil, and he is ready to roast
If you are anything like me, you might want to roast and extra head of garlic at least. It is seriously like candy when it is roasted and I can just eat it straight!!
This sauce does take some time, but it is well worth it!
Don't just take my word on it. Kevin, my son and daughter all loved it. In fact, my daughter stole the last of the leftover sauce.
She had better bring my jar back!!
Roasted Tomato and Garlic Pizza Sauce
- 2 pounds vine ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Cut the top off of the head of garlic to expose all of the cloves. Place on a square of tin foil and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Allow to sit for a few minutes as the garlic absorbs the olive oil. Drizzle it again and wrap up the tin foil. Place on the baking sheet with the tomatoes.
- Roast the tomatoes until soft and beginning to brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour. If the tomatoes are done before 1 hour, remove the garlic from the baking sheet and set it on the rack in the oven and continue to roast the garlic for the full hour. Cool on sheet.
- Puree tomatoes, garlic, and oregano in blender until smooth.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomato puree, tomato paste, and water, stir well. Bring sauce to a boil and then reduce to simmer 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cool sauce. If not using immediately, store in an airtight in the refrigerator up to a week.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 40 mins.
Tags: Italian, oregano, pizza, sauce, tomato, garlic
Do You Shop Amazon?
When you start your Amazon shopping here, I get a small affiliate commission. THANK YOU!!
Like what you see?Let's stay connected!
Planning on making one of my recipes? Nothing would make me happier! Take a photo and share it on Instagram and tag @BobbisKozyKtchn I would love to see what you made.