I loved the fact that this weeks Sunday Supper theme is 5 Ingredients or Less.
Why you ask?
Well, I will tell you.
Lately it seems that I have fallen into this "It has to have a lot of cra eerrr ingredients to make it taste good" rut.
Like the more you throw it it the better it gets.
But this weeks theme made me take a step back, a deep breath, and remember that sometimes less is more.
Especiallllllllllllllllly when you are talking about fresh asparagus. I mean I could seriously just eat a whole pound raw. That would be my meal. It is hands down one of my favorite veggies and one of the reasons I get so excited when Spring comes around. I am not joking when I tell you that I have 3 pounds of asparagus in my refrigerator right this minute.
Walking past an asparagus display without bringing some home is like trying to walk past a box of puppies without picking one up. IMPOSSIBLE!!
So I knew this recipe would revolve around asparagus in some way.
Then I was watching an episode of Good Eats that happened to be all about my Spring green love.
In that episode he roasted asparagus in the oven, which made me start to drool. I love roasted asparagus with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Yuummmmm! But he mentioned that a fried egg on top would make it even better.
Dang! Why didn't I think of that?
Well I might not have thought of it, but I made it just as fast as my feet could carry me to the kitchen.
I decided to bake the eggs with the asparagus, rather than fry the egg, because I thought it would look prettier. I always seem to get little brown edges on my fried eggs, which doesn't look very appetizing in a photo to me. Plus I like the texture of baked eggs. Just like in my BLT with Baked Avocado Egg Salad, which just happens to contain another one of my green loves!
So if you are looking for a new breakfast/brunch (or even lunch, as it was for me) dish. Give this simply but tasty recipe a try. I know I have had it everyday for the last 3 days!
1 pound asparagus, woody ends trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
Fresh cracked black pepper
Grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
Crushed red pepper flakes for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Combine the asparagus, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and toss to coat the asparagus well. Separate the asparagus into 4 individual baking dishes (or spread on a rimmed baking sheet in 4 groups).
Bake for 5 minutes, then toss the asparagus with tongs. Crack an egg in a small bowl and carefully pour the egg on top of the asparagus, repeat so you have 2 eggs on each bundle. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, depending on how done you want the yolk.
Remove from the oven, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes and serve.
A big thank you to Alice over at Hip Foodie Mom for hosting this weeks Sunday Supper!!
Now take a minute to check out all of the other fabulous offerings from the Sunday Supper family.
Appetizers, Salads and Starters
- Chicken and Spring Greens Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Tuna, Burrata and Black Olive Salad from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Salmon and Cucumber "Noodle" Salad from girlichef
- Yogurt Dill Vegetable Dip from Melanie Makes
- Tomato, Avocado and Cucumber Summer Salad from My Healthy Eating Habits
- Fennel Citrus Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Kale-Had-a-Hard-Day Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Ruffles and Truffles
- Tomato Soup from Run DMT
- Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad from Neighborfood
- Latkes with Smoked Salmon and Caviar from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Candied Apple Jelly from What Smells So Good?
- Grilled Steak with Garlic Cumin Rub from Cooking Chat
- Homemade Ricotta from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Indian-style Roasted Cauliflower from kimchi MOM
- 3-Ingredient Beer Bread from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Potato Pancakes (Reibekuchen) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Smoked Turkey Panini with Roasted Red Peppers and Basil Pesto from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Slow Cooker Turkey Half Breast from Nosh My Way
- Easy Crock Pot Pulled Chicken from Flour On My Face
- Lemon Basil Carbonara from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Garlic Butter Shrimp from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Stroganoff from Hot Momma's Kitchen Chaos
- Smothered Pork Chop Cups from Having Fun Saving
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas from Supper for a Steal
- Chicken with Olives from Noshing With The Nolands
- Salmon with Tiger Dill Sauce from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Greek Chicken Burgers from Country Girl In The Village
- Crock Pot Beer Chicken from Our Table for Seven
- Chorizo and Potato Frittata from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Chicken and Potato Bake with Meyer Lemons from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chicken Asparagus Roll-ups from The Dinner-Mom
- Spaghetti Squash with Simple Red Sauce from Momma's Meals
- Tropical Salsa Chicken from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Strawberry Red Wine Glazed Salmon from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Asparagus and Eggs from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Caprese Salad Sandwich from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Short Rib Bourguignon from Food Lust People Love
- Beans and Egg Sandwich from Basic N Delicious
- Honey Almond Salmon from Family Foodie
- Flourless Chocolate Cake from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- 4-Ingredient Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Sweets from Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Honey Ice Cream from The Foodie Army Wife
- Coconut Crusted Chocolate Ganache Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- 3-Ingredient Nutella Truffles from URBAN BAKES
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Squares from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Nutella Ferrero Cupcakes from Brunch with Joy
- 5-Minute Strawberry Sherbet from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Best Ever Coconut Macaroons from Hip Foodie Mom
- Chocolate Orange Ice Cream from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Orchid Panna Cotta from Manu's Menu
- Oreo Cookies and Cream Fudge from Alida's Kitchen
- Golden Oreo Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Vanilla Pudding from Magnolia Days
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bites from The Weekend Gourmet
- Coconut Cream Mango Mousse from Sue's Nutrition Buzz
- Peanut Butter Buckeyes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cherry Chip Cookies from Ninja Baking
- Raspberry Pina Colada Ice Cream from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Avocado Milkshakes from The Texan New Yorker
- The Ginger Sass Cocktail from Nik Snacks
- Baked Custard Cups from Soni's Food