Compensation was provided by The Hatch Chili Store in the form of free product. The opinions expressed herein are mine.
I have been going back to the first posts I did here on the blog.
And doing a lot of cringing!
Not that my photography is professional quality now (she says as she looks at all the spots on the casserole dish in these photos). But these old photos are reallllllllllllllllllly bad.
Case in point, my Chile Rellenos Casserole from January 2012
Horrid lighting, old camera, crappy composition.
But a dang good casserole!
Fast forward to now, and an awesome email I received from The Hatch Green Chile Store.
They wanted me to give their chilies a try.
Color me so excited! I have been jealous of my other food blogger buddies than are able to get their hands on Hatch chiles.
Don't get me wrong, I love me some poblanos and Anaheim chiles. But I have just been wanting to give these bad boys a try for quite some time.
I immediately knew that I wanted to use them to remake this fabulous casserole, and what a good plan it was.
Hatch chiles have a flavor all their own and it really works so well with this recipe.
Kevin and I had both forgotten how much we loved this dish, and the Hatch chiles just made it even better. Just enough spice without being too hot. Although I think we would like to give this dish a try with the hot chiles too!
Eggy, cheesey, spicy.
Does it get much better than that for a breakfast dish?
I think not!!
Get your hands on some Hatch green chilies and surprise your family with this for breakfast or brunch.
They will thank you!
Chile Rellenos Casserole with Hatch Green Chiles
- 8 roasted Hatch chiles (I used medium heat), stems and seeds removed
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Grease a 10 x 7 (or close to it) casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs and the milk. Add the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Beat with a hand mixer (or use an immersion blender) until smooth.
- Slice the chiles down one side and open them like a book. Place 4 of the peppers in the casserole dish and top with half the cheeses.
- Place the remaining 4 peppers on top of the cheese layer and repeat with the remaining cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over the peppers and cheese. Bake uncovered about 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the egg mixture comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro if wanted.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: Breakfast, casserole, egg, Hatch green chiles, pepperjack cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro,