Green Chile Soup with Mini Jalapeno Havarti Grilled Cheese - A wonderful creamy soup, with the heat from fire roasted Hatch chiles, is the perfect lunch when you pair it with Mini Jalapeno Havarti Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Creamy, spicy heaven!
Do you ever dream of food?
I mean all out vivid pictures of a meal in front of you?
Maybe that is a food blogger thing.
I get some of my greatest inspirations from dreams.
I seriously wake up ravenously hungry sometimes.
I know they say you should keep a dream diary by your bed to record the things you dream about.
I have always figured that was for the people that have the wacky dreams they want to try and figure out the meaning of.
Not that I don't have those wacky dreams.
Try to figure out why your dogs head is on a dinosaur body chasing you through the house screaming "FEED ME".
Ya that will give you pause for though!
Maybe I should check the food bowl hhmmm?
Can you imagine being a dog though?
For just one minute?
The same food.
The same water.
I would be chasing my owner around too yelling "What does a person need to do around here to get a glass of wine and a nice salad?".
But hey, that's just me,
However on this day, with this dream, I was obviously thinking about the 2.5 pounds of roasted hatch chilies I had in my refrigerator from The Hatch Chile Store.
With the weather finally warming I knew my window of opportunity for soups was closing quickly so I grabbed the bull by the horns, err chiles, well whatever.
You know what I mean.
Kevin adores this soup, and with the little grilled cheese sandwiches it was quite the perfect meal.
1 year ago - Rib-eyes with Garlic Parmesan Crust
2 years ago - BBQ Baby Back Ribs
3 years ago - Chicken Francese and Wilted Spinach
Green Chile Soup with Mini Jalapeno Havarti Grilled Cheese
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds roasted hatch green chiles, stems and seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 5 ounces baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups half and half
- Fat free Greek yogurt
- Fried tortilla strips
- 1 French baguette, sliced into 32 (1/2 inch thick) slices
- 16 slices of jalapeno cheese, halved
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add chopped hatch chiles, spinach, and cilantro, and cook, stirring, until spinach is slightly wilted, about 3 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in cream, and season with salt and pepper; puree with an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender until smooth
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle over medium heat. Spread each slice of bread with butter. Place on slice of bread, butter side down, on the griddle and top with 2 of the sliced jalapeno havarti cheese halves. Place another slice of bread on top, butter side up. Cook until golden brown and flip over to toast the other side.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with fat free Greek yogurt and tortilla strips, and serve with the grilled cheese sandwiches.
Yield: 8 servingsPrep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 60 mins.
Tags: Hatch green chile, onion, garlic, celery, carrot, spinach, cilantro, bread, cheese, sandwich, soup
Adapted from a recipe found on Saveur.
Do You Shop Amazon?When you start your Amazon shopping here, we get a small affiliate commission. THANK YOU!!
Like what you see?Let's stay connected!