I have had this recipe wandering around my head for quite some time, but was wondering if other people were like me. I love chili year round, I don't care how hot it is outside. Just grab an ice cold beer to cool yourself down if needed.
So I decided to pose the question on my social media.
Is there a "chili season"?
The answer was a resounding NO.
So with that question answered I set my mind to the task at hand.
Now, what can I do to make this chili stand out? Make it an over the top WOW I want that "Get in my belly now!" kind of chili?
Then the question I hear most began ringing in my ear.
Is there meat in it?
For those of you that have been here for a while, you know that the man in my life is terrified of a meatless meal for some reason. I mean he has to have meat or the world will come to an end, or so he would lead you to believe.
OK, if it is meat you want, then it is meat you are gonna get. And a whole shh ummm ton of it at that!!
Let's see now, ground beef? Yes, you have to have ground beef, and bacon, you can't forget the bacon! What else? Think, think, think....Ahaaaa I have left over carnitas from the other night when I made Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos.
Now toss in some peppers, and spices, and the other usual suspects and Voila, Chili to bust your gut with!!Cook time: 02 hrs. 15 mins.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
I don't really think he believed me about how much meat I was going to pack into this. But I sure made him a believer when I put a big bowl of this in front of him. This is a serious bowl of goodness, no toppings needed, just grab a spoon (or fork) and dive in!
Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili
Putting a Mexican spin on an American classic, makes this chili Tex Mex perfection!
- 4 slices thick bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 pound shredded pork carnitas (can sub pulled pork if wanted)
- Kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bottle dark Mexican beer (I used Negro Modelo)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
Large Cutting Board
- Cook the bacon in a 6-quart heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the fat renders. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel and reserve for garnish later if desired. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and poblanos. Cook until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Push the pepper and onion mixture to the edges and add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until no pink remains, then stir in the carnitas, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and beer. Scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to get any browned bits up, then add tomatoes, stock, pinto beans, and black beans, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Taste, correct the seasoning, and continue to simmer, stirring often, for another 30 minutes, or the chili is reduced to your liking.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro and cooked bacon.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 25 mins.
Tags: bacon, beer, chili, cilantro, ground beef, comfort food
Nutritional info via CalorieCount.com
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.