Classic mac salad made a bit lighter. Trust me, you won't miss all of that mayo and the Greek yogurt adds a little tang. This is the perfect side dish for your summer BBQ.
I have to admit. I have had macaroni and potato salad on the brain lately. With all of the grilling and smoking we have been doing, a nice cool side dish is just what the Dr. ordered. Plus it keeps me outside enjoying the weather, instead of inside cooking away. A little bit of boiling, a few ingredients, and BOOM yumminess in a bowl.
I used to be the one that just grabbed the tub salads from the store. I would run in to pick up something to throw on the grill, and just make a beeline for the deli and grab their premade potato or macaroni salad. Sometimes they were OK, but for the most part they seemed very bland with TONS of mayonnaise. Especially the macaroni salad! It seemed like there was equal amounts of pasta and mayo on it!! I love mayo as much as anybody but really?
I decided to work on my own versions of mac salad. The first one I came up with was Kitchen Sink Macaroni Salad. I was craving veggies and macaroni salad so, well as you can see, they all ended up in the bowl and played very well together. But on this day I was craving that classic macaroni salad that I loved so much (minus the gloopy mayo) and decided to come up with my own.
I cut the mayonnaise waaaaaaaaaaaaay down and added a bit of Greek yogurt for some tang. Other than that, I tried to stick to what I found in the classic macaroni salads that have found and enjoyed. So you will find the usual suspects in the ingredient list.
This salad is lighter, but you won't miss that classic mac salad flavor......I promise!!
1 year ago - Greek Shrimp in Foil Packets
2 years ago - Vietnamese Style Steak
3 years ago - Short Rib Lasagna Rolls
Classic Macaroni Salad
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 stalks celery with the leafy tops, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced black olives, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1/teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the macaroni, celery, onion, and black olives.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, yogurt, and salt.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: macaroni, pasta, celery, red onion, black olives, greek yogurt, Side Dishes,