The Hatch Chile Store sent me a care package of their roasted chiles, and I have been enjoying them as much as I possible. So many ideas and possibilities for these green beauties!
The first thing I made was Green Chile Pesto. Pesto is such a versatile sauce. You can use it in pasta, on meat, spread it on bread, or how about mixing it into your scrambled eggs? Yum right? Chiles and eggs go together like peanut butter and jelly in my book!
But it is not just about the flavor with these babies. Green Chiles are special. I am serious!
Don't believe me?
If you’re not eating one right now, you may want to order some from the Hatch Chile Store ASAP!
Green chiles also pack a little sumthin sumthin for your metabolism. Capsaicin has an effect that is similar to green tea and caffeine and has been shown to stimulate weight loss when eaten as part of a healthy diet."
Seriously, we should a just eat peppers all of the time!
Did you know that Capsaicin is also a safe and effective topical analgesic agent and is used in the treatment of arthritis, nerve damage, and even migraines?
I love food that tastes good and is good for me!
So what better way to start your day than with a vitamin packed meal that can help fight cancer AND lose weight? OK so maybe the bread and cheese don't fall into that category too, but I don't care! I choose to look at the fabulous green chile and ignore everything else, so don't rain on my parade!!
Seriously though, I am telling you, this was so good that the first 4 were gone so fast we barely made a positive ID check on them!! And, ummmm, I may or may not have made 4 more after that and ate them all myself.
Hey it all balances out right, I mean the chiles sped up my metabolism so it was all good?
This is just the perfect brunch dish though. I can't wait for my kids to come over next weekend because we are setting up a brunch buffet and these bad boys will be front and center!
Green Chile Breakfast Bruschetta
- 4 slices crusty Italian bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Green Chile Pesto
- 1 teaspoon half and half
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 grape tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place sliced bread in a single layer on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until bread is lightly toasted.
- While bread is toasting, make the eggs. Combine eggs, pesto, milk, and a dash of salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Scramble the egg mixture in a small skillet over medium heat and set aside.
- Spoon a layer of scrambled eggs and top of each slice of toast. Then sprinkle with crumbled Queso Fresco cheese and grape tomato halves. Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 25 mins.
Tags: hatch green chiles, Breakfast Dishes, Queso Fresco, egg, pesto, tomato, cilantro, bread, 10 Ingredients or Less,