I have been thinking about fall foods, and even though I gravitate to pumpkin most often, apples are right there in the wings waiting to be used. Right now in Washington there are apples a'plenty! So I really began to think about some wonderful ways to use them. I, of course, love them smeared with peanut butter. But I can't exactly put that on the blog right? Then of course there is pork and apples. Aaahhh a match made in heaven! But I wanted something different, original. Or strange as Kevin might say.
To me though, this sandwich just seemed obvious. I mean apples and cheddar, salt and sweet, and add a little tang from the spread. Normal right? Of course right! Just go with me if you don't agree, it makes me feel better.
Actually this wasn't even a planned dish. I had gone grocery shopping and happened to pick up some apples. I always have bacon, what good food blogger doesn't, and cheddar cheese had been my choice of deli cheese for the week.
I was working on the blog when my tummy started rumbling. I am always horrible about waiting until the last minute to eat. You know, that minute when you are just about ready to eat the stuffing from the couch cushions you are so hungry? So my growling stomach and I went to the kitchen and began rummaging through the refrigerator. I thought a sandwich would do the trick, but then I spied that gorgeous juicy apple in the fruit bowl. My old standby of peanut butter and apple popped into my head briefly, but I really wanted a sandwich. That was when I just started grabbing things that sounded good.
Then Kevin wandered into the kitchen, and peeked into the pan. There was a slight quizzical look as he glanced around the kitchen, spying all of the goodies I was putting into my lunchtime masterpiece.
Are you making a grilled cheese?
Where's the apple?
In the sandwich.
*insert crickets chirping here*
I assured him that I would not make him eat it. But in the back of my mind I knew he would want one once I was done.
So, my lovely golden brown crispy sammie comes out of the oven. I lovingly place it on my plate and carefully cut it in half. As I take a bite, I see him watching me out of the corner of my eye. Then he hears me mmmmmm-ing and watches the happy foodie dance. Simple, but oh so delish!
Can I have a bite?
Ha! I know him so well!!
Bacon, Apple, and Cheddar Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices french bread*
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 slice deli cheddar cheese, thick cut
- 1/4 apple, cored and sliced thin
- 2 slices crispy bacon
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 2 teaspoons (or more to taste), whole grain mustard
- In a small bowl, mix the mayo and mustard. Set aside.
- Spread softened butter on one side of sliced bread. Place in an oven proof skillet, butter side down. Turn the heat on to medium.
- Cut cheese into two pieces and layer onto the bread in the skillet. Then top with apple slices and bacon.
- Slather the remaining piece of bread with the mayo/mustard, and place on top of the bacon.
- Carefully butter the top slice of bread.
- Once the bottom reaches a golden brown, carefully flip the sandwich over. Continue to cook until the bottom is golden brown.
- If the cheese has not melted enough, place the skillet in the oven and turn it up to 350. Cook until the cheese melts, approx 1 minute.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: apple, cheddar cheese, bacon, bread, Sandwiches,
*I buy my french bread fresh and slice it as soon as I get home from the store. Then store it in zipper top baggies in the freezer so I can thaw out the amount of bread I need at the time.