This last week I have been having a battle inside my head. More so than usual. You see, the thing is that I am soooo happy it is fall. The pumpkins, apples, hot chocolate, turning leaves, crisp cool evenings. Yes I love fall. But, there is a little tiny stubborn part of me that is holding on to summertime tooth and nail. I will be happily curled up on my sofa, with my favorite fleece blanket, and I hear her whining, "It is so cold in here....turn up the heat for heavens sake! What do you think you are an Eskimo now?". *sigh* Yes, she is very annoying!
So to subdue her incessant grumbling, I decided to break out a menu that was sure to make her feel like it was Southern California here in Western Washington. Of course that meant.......Mexican food!! Yes it will sooth the savage beast, or at least the cantankerous twerp.
Of course that meant that I had to put Kevin out a bit because he would have to deal with a whole meal of nothing but Mexican food. But seriously, at this moment, that annoying little voice bothered me more than any look he could give me.
So bring on the Beef Taquitos, Chicken Enchiladas with Chili Verde Sauce, Homemade "Refried" Beans, and of course no fiesta would be complete without chips and salsa. I couldn't decide what kind I wanted so I made Pico de Gallo and this Roasted Tomatillo Salsa.
Even though Kevin protests, we all have figured out that he doesn't hate Mexican food like he tries to act. Every single time I make it he cleans his plate gladly and has a smile on his face. I was actually really impressed with how fast he took to this salsa. The recipe makes 2 pints, so I figured that I would keep a pint here, and send a pint home with my son and his girlfriend. But Kevin proceeded to grab the chips, and a bowl of the salsa, and go to town. Who knew roasted tomatillos were the secret key?
Oh, what about the little voice in my head? I can tell you that by the end of the meal that little brat was so full she couldn't even whimper. Aahhhh peace at last!!
1 year ago - Roasted Tomato and Garlic Pizza Sauce
2 years ago - Chicken Parmesan BLTs
3 years ago - Chicken Tortilla Soup
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- 4 cups tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1 medium white onion, quartered
- 2 or 3 jalapeños, stems removed
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toss the tomatillos, onion, jalapeño, and garlic with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread onto a baking sheet in an even layer and roast in the oven until they are very soft, about an hour. Allow to cool a bit.
- Carefully squeeze the roasted garlic from its skin into a blender or food processor. Add in the roasted tomatillos, onion, and jalapeno along with the juices from the baking sheet as well as the cilantro and puree. Add in the chicken stock a little at a time until the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 15 mins.
Tags: tomatillo, salsa, onion, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, Appetizers and Starters,