Aaahhh yes, I do love my slow cooker and it is sadly so neglected during the summertime. I have no idea why. You would think it would still be put to use to keep from heating up my kitchen. But it seems that our grill gets the work out and my poor slow cooker is banished to the bottom of the pantry until the cool fall weather hits.
So when I found out this weeks Sunday Supper was all about slow cooker love I was ecstatic! Maybe it seems that my reaction is a bit overboard, but I am also dealing with a broken oven so am very limited to things that I can cook right now. The slow cooker is perfect for this situation.
I really put my thinking cap on for this recipe. I wanted something new, not the typical slow cooker dishes that I have made over and over again. I mean, we all adore my Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos, Slow Cooker Balsamic Pot Roast, and Slow Cooker Orange Garlic Chicken, but I really wanted to make something exciting and special.
What flavors do we both enjoy, what meat is flavorful and forgiving (we have all had that mishap with the beef roast right?). I decided to go with chicken thighs because I not only love them, they are also a nice budget friendly protein. I wanted to add some artichoke, and incorporate the only red bell peppers from my garden that actually grew to a somewhat usable size. There were 3 teeny tiny ones, which added up to enough for one regular sized one.
I know it seems like there is a TON of garlic in this dish, which there is, but trust me on this one. It cooks down to a nice mellow garlic sauce that makes the chicken soooo happy! OK, I really have no idea how the chicken feels about the garlic, but I know we enjoyed every mouthful.
Then the artichokes, ahhh don't even get me started on the artichokes. Never mind, YES get me started. We both absolutely love artichokes and they just make this meal fantabulous. Can you tell we really reallllly loved this? WOW just looking at the picture, and talking about the ingredients, is making me want to make it again immediately! Serve this over rice cooked in chicken stock (that is what give it that lovely yellow color) and it is seriously one melt in your mouth, yummy in your tummy, slow cooker meal!
Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 coves of garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of artichoke hearts, cut in half
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups rice
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute or 2.
- Place the onion mixture in the slow cooker, along with the artichoke hearts, lemon juice and zest, thyme, salt, pepper, chicken thighs, and 1 cup of the chicken stock. Make sure the chicken is nestled down into the vegetable mixture.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- Remove the lid and turn the slow cooker to warm. Mix the 2 tablespoons of corn starch with the 2 tablespoons of cold water until smooth. Add it into the slow cooker and stir to combine well. Replace the lid.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pot, bring the rice and remaining 4 cups of chicken stock to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve the Garlic Chicken over warm rice.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 6 hrs. 44 mins.
Tags: chicken, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, lemon, thyme, artichoke, rice, Slow Cooker Meals, #SundaySupper, Budget Meals
Now let's move on to more wonderful dishes for your slow cooker pleasure!!
- Amazing Slow Cooker French Onion Soup from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crockpot Caramelized Pork Noodle Soup from Brunch with Joy
- Crockpot Kielbasa Split Pea Soup from The Foodie Army Wife
- Crockpot Turkey Meatball Soup from Flour On My Face
- Slow Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Spinach & White Bean Soup from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup #GlutenFree from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Slow Cooker Kielbasa Soup with Kale and White Beans from The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup With Gouda from Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Ham and 10-Bean Soup from Food Lust People Love
- Three Bean, Butternut, and Quinoa Vegetarian Chili from Ruffles & Truffles
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Crock Pot Pork Chops with Apples and Figs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken from Casa de Crews
- Madras Beef Curry with Vegetables from Curious Cuisiniere
- Pork and Cabbage Stew from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Pork Chops in Gravy with Potatoes from Cookin’ Mimi
- Slow Cooked Apple Pie Oatmeal from Life Tastes Good
- Slow-Cooked Country Pork and Veggies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from Peaceful Cooking
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from Nosh My Way
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Slow Cooker Spicy Peach Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Scalloped Potatoes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions from The Dinner-Mom
Scintillating Sweets and Sips
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow-Cooker Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake from Ninja Baking
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Spiced Caramel Cider from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Triple Rich Chocolate Cake from MealDiva
- Slow Cooker Seedy Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Slow Cooker Sourdough Bread from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.