Put some zippity in your leftover mashed potato do-dah with these Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Cakes. Have them for breakfast with some salsa and a fried egg, or as a dinner side with sour cream and chives. Then make sure to check out the other fabulous leftover ideas from the Sunday Supper crew!
Today's Sunday Supper is hosted by the wonderful Jennie of The Messy Baker, and is about all things leftover. You know when your fridge is still stuffed with Thanksgiving goodies, and you just can't look at one more turkey sandwich? Wait, is that possible? Could there really be too many leftover turkey sandwiches? Hhmmm I think not, but there are always other terrific ways to enjoy those tasty leftovers and we are here to show them to you.
Turkey, stuffing, cranberries? They are all pretty easy to use in leftover dishes right? But the humble mashed potato seems to be out in left field by itself. You have that cold little wad of potatoes hanging out in the fridge, begging to be eaten, but it just seems that the only way to eat them is too reheat them and pile on the butter and gravy (not that that is a bad thing...Lord no!!). One of the first things I make when going for leftovers is a big plate of turkey, stuffing, and potatoes, and smother it all in leftover gravy. Yuummmmm, is it Thanksgiving yet?
But, if you want to "repurpose" those potatoes, why not spice them up and make them a star?
This is a family fave, and the perfect way to use your leftover mashed potatoes as a breakfast dish, or as a tasty side to your main dinner dish. With cheese and jalapeno, my favorite way to enjoy them is with a fried and egg and salsa. It is just the perfect weekend brunch dish in my mind. Kevin on the other hand loves them with a bit of sour cream and chives or green onion along side a nice juicy steak. Pair that all with a nice green salad? Heaven!! Sometimes I even mixed in a bit of cooked, chopped bacon. Hellooooo, you can never go wrong with that right?
So enjoy that Turkey Day meal with your family and friends, gobble til ya wobble, but make sure you get some of those leftover taters so you can make these bad boys the next day. You will fall in love, I promise!!
1 year ago - Grandpa's Simple Stuffing
2 years ago - Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
3 years ago - Green Beans with Caramelized Onions
Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Cakes
- 3 cups cold leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed potatoes, cheese, jalapeno, egg and 1/4 cup flour until combined. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of flour in a shallow dish.
- Using your hands, roll the potato mixture into golf ball sized balls (if mixture is too sticky you can add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time until firm enough). Pat the balls flat and dredge each pancake in the flour.
- Heat enough vegetable oil to thoroughly coat the bottom of a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Fry the pancakes until they're golden brown and crispy on each side. Add more oil to the pan as needed between batches. Transfer the pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate and season them with salt.
- Serve with sour cream and chives, salsa, or even a fried egg.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 34 mins.
Tags: potato, cheese, jalapeno, leftovers, Thanksgiving, Breakfast,
Here are some more fabulous was to use up those Thanksgiving leftovers!!