Oh boy is my slow cooker getting a work out this year! I have been determined to come up with more recipes to use it for. Especially being a food blogger, I am game for anything that takes some work off of me and helps relieve some stress. Why did I not focus on this before? Ok, so I am a little slow, but I get there! My only issue now is, I wish I had more slow cookers! HA! It used to be the one I have would gather dust in the pantry most of the year. Ya, I would drag it out in the winter a few times to make soup or a roast (same old boring stuff), but now I am making Mashed Potatoes, and Creamed Corn, Pumpkin Butter, and even Dulce de Leche!
Then a long come the holidays and my slow cooker has become golden! I have been cooking up a storm in it and love every minute of it. But mine is sooooo old. I don't even remember when I bought it, it was that long ago. So I did in a request to the big guy for a new one. I mean I have been a very good girl this year, I think I deserve it, don't you?
This year I have made several holiday meals. Between trying to balance time with all of our kids, and wanting to get things together for the blog, I feel like it has been one long holiday meal since the middle of last month! Turkey, beef, pork roasts, ham. We are even going to smoke a rib roast on Christmas Eve YUM!!! But I was super excited to do the ham in the slow cooker. No touch, no stress, and make the house smell amazing? Oh heck ya!!
This was one of those dishes that woke Kevin up because it smelled so good. He about scared me to death when he stumbled into the kitchen, all zombie like, mumbling, "What smells so good?". I told him it was a ham, but that it wouldn't be done for a bit. So he stumbled back upstairs, only to stop and ask me if I was going to save the ham bone to make soup with. Huh? You are half asleep and the ham bone is what comes to your mind? WOW I thought I was weird!
I assured him that there would be nice big pot of my ham and bean soup on our stove in the very near future!
Get the ham into your slow cooker, flat side down.
Pour on the maple, mustard mix.
Sprinkle the brown sugar all over it, and HELLO sweet hammy goodness!!
1 year ago - Boozy Hot Chocolate
2 years ago - Homemade Ranch Dressing the Healthy Way
3 years ago - Standing Rib Roast with Rosemary and Garlic
Slow Cooker Holiday Ham
- 7-10 pound bone-in spiral sliced ham (depending on the size of your crockpot)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Using a 6-7 quart slow, place ham flat side down inside.
- Pour the chicken stock in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mustard and maple syrup. Pour over the top of the ham, making sure to get all sides. Sprinkle the brown sugar all over the ham.
- Cover tightly (if your lid wont fit, wrap tightly with aluminum foil) and cook on low 4-5 hours, basting once or twice during the last hour.
- Remove from the slow cooker and let rest for 20 minutes before serving.
- Reserve the juices to make gravy, or use as an au jus.
Total time: 5 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: ham, mustard, maple syrup, brown sugar, slow cooker, crockpot, Holiday Dishes