This Tomato Bisque with Bacon and Basil is so rich and creamy you will want to eat the whole pot!
As I type this post I am looking out my window at the fog laying in the trees behind my house, which always makes me want a big bowl of hot creamy soup. It is like a big warm hug for my tummy, and always makes me smile. Even as I plan my healthy salads for the new year, I know I will never give up my creamy soup love. It might mean a few more minutes on the treadmill, but it is well worth it!
I think some of my love for cream soups comes from my childhood. Campbell's soups were on our menu at least once a week. I can still remember sitting down to a big bowl of cream of tomato soup with a gooey grilled cheese, or a bowl of cream of mushroom soup topped with as a pile of oyster crackers! To this day, just seeing those cans in the store brings back a flood of memories.
So whyyyyyyyyy not use it in my tomato soup? Why not make it super rich and creamy like that lobster bisque? Why not go completely crazy and add bacon too? Well, the answer to all of the above was LET’S GO!! It all sounded good to me. Plus, and this is the big thing, I thought they would all lend in the game plan to get Kevin on board with tomato soup. I wasn't going to hold my breath that he would pack his bags for the trip, but I did have some hope he might right the train to the next stop.
Then right before I headed into the kitchen to make it I got the dreaded question.
“What is for dinner”?
(Uh ohhhh) “Ummmm soup?”
“What kind of soup?”
(Seriously? *sigh*) “It is a creamy bisque with some bacon and basil in it”.
(Do what? No 20 questions?) “It will be ready soon”
So, after I picked myself up off of the floor, I whipped a pot of this yumminess up. I plopped a bowl down in front of him with a big ol’ hunk of crusty bread, and got the “look” when he realized it was tomato soup. But, he went into for a taste……then grabbed the bread and went in for a dip…..then silence. After a deep sigh (so dramatic) he had to tell me how much he liked it.
Now I have 2 more dinners worth in the freezer, and I am a very happy soup loving girl!!
1 year ago - Chili con Queso
2 years ago - Asparagus with Bacon Sabayone
3 years ago - Chile Rellenos Casserole
Cheesy Chicken Tenders
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Cook bacon in a large soup pot over medium-high heat until it begins to crisp. Remove half of the bacon and drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to medium; add onion and cook 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic; cook 1 minute more or until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in the sherry and cream; simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add half of the basil and remove soup from heat. Blend with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender and blend in small batches) until smooth.
- Place bisque in serving bowls; top with the remaining bacon, basil and a drizzle of cream (optional).
Total time: 50 mins.
Tags: bacon, onion, garlic, tomato, cream, basil, soup
Like what you see?Let's stay connected!