Surprise your family with this wonderful aromatic Persian Chicken tonight. They will think you slaved for hours cooking, But it is the slow cooker that does all of the work.
I know I have mentioned, many times, that Kevin is a bit uummm picky when it comes to food. He would be completely content to be a meat and potatoes (or pasta, or rice) kinda guy, with the occasional salad or veggie on the side. But lucky him, he chose to live with a food blogger and I don't do boring very well!
At the beginning I really didn't push him much. The craziest things I made was Mexican food and, although he constantly tells me he is not a fan of Mexican food, he would try it and 99.9% of the time love it. Asian was another road that I could go down. He tends to like everything I make in that style with no complaints.
But then I started making things like Naanchos, which has Chicken Tikka Masala as the meat, and I got the "look". Oh he tried them, and did eat them, but made it clear he was not a huge fan. The rest of the family fell in love, but Kevin not so much. However, my hopes for change rose when I make this Chicken Biryani and my picky guy really realllllly liked it. I was shocked and every so happy.
But, for some reason, I stopped really pushing him and went back to the flavors I knew I could get away with. Oh, don't get me wrong, I still did somethings he thought were a bit crazy. Like stuffing a pumpkin and baking it! He thought I was completely nuts when he saw meat, and bread cubes, and cream, going into a hollowed out pumpkin. But was the first to ask for seconds after he tried it.
With the hectic lives that so many families live these days, it is so hard to do everything that needs to be done in a day and get meals on the table that are easy, healthy, and full of flavor. It is so much easier to pull out a can or a box, or a frozen meal, and just get the show on the road.
And that has become a challenge to me. For many years my slow cooker lay dormant in my pantry, only being pulled out for the random pot roast or hot summer day when I didn't feel like heating up my kitchen any more than absolutely necessary. Once I got away from using the canned condensed soups, it seemed that the choices of what dishes to make in my slow cooker narrowed quite a bit.
To be quiet honest, I just wasn't feeling very inspired. I had minimal success with my pot roasts until I tried cooking them on high for a short period of time (say 4 hours) vs low all day. To me, and my family, the texture of the meat was much better.
So once I had success with my tinkering, it spurred me on to try new things. One of the most popular being Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa. It is super tasty and healthy to boot! But one of our family faves is Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff with Port Wine. A new take on a classic dish. I always seem to have a bag or two of it in my freezer.
But I wanted to branch out even further with my flavors. Since Kevin liked my version of Chicken Biryani, I decided I wanted to stay with a Middle Eastern "vibe". I was a bit nervous when he asked what all was going into the slow cooker. But I shouldn't have been. When I gave him a brief run down of the spices involved I got an insta-yum. WOW, color me shocked. I figured as soon as he heard cinnamon and molasses he would be giving ordering out a serious consideration. But he was game, so I was happy. And in turn he was very very happy when that slow cooker went ding and dinner was on the table.
Do you have a picky eater in your house?
1 year ago - Baked Chicken Parmesan Riggies
2 years ago - Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
3 years ago - Not Your Momma's Tuna Casserole
Slow Cooker Persian Chicken
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 1/2 cup chicken stock, separated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Fresh pomegranate seeds for garnish
- 2 cups saffron rice
- Bring the pomegranate juice to boil in a small sauce pot. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced by 1/2.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pomegranate juice reduction and molasses. Pour into the slow cooker. Mix the cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, allspice, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add the chicken and coat evenly.
- Place the chicken thighs in a single layer (you may have to squish them in there) and sprinkle with any remaining spice mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5, or until the chicken is tender.
- 20 mins before the chicken is done, place the rice and chicken stock into a medium pan, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to low heat. Cook rice for 17 to 20 mins. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve chicken over cooked rice and garnish with the pomegranate seeds..
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Total time: 5 hrs. 30 mins.
Tags: pomegranate, onion, chicken, slow cooker, rice, Persian
Adapted from Fine Cooking