Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad - Made with Fresh tomatoes and herbs, this is a fresh and light pasta salad that is the perfect side for any picnic or BBQ. Major plus...NO MAYO!
Howdy y'all! How was your 4th of July? It has been so dang hot here. 90 degrees is just not was we are used to in Washington! So we had a quiet day, just the two of us. BBQed for lunch, relaxed, then packed a picnic and hit the beach for some fireworks. Nice, easy, safe, and fun.
One of the things we packed for our little outing was this Fresh Tomato Pasta Salad. Folks, I am obsessed with this pasta salad right now. Seriously, I have it bad! I have gone through 3 pounds of pasta in the last couple of weeks!! It is A) super simple to make, and B) so light and tasty. Lately I am all about some fresh tomatoes. I can't seem to get enough. I have been making was seems like gallons of Salsa Fresca and putting it on everything, especially my eggs in the morning, and Pico de Gallo has been going on grilled chicken, steak, and even burgers. Do you get obsessed with seasonal fruits and veggies? I am almost as bad with corn!! Ohhh ya!This week Sunday Supper is talking "Foods that Travel Well" and I knew immediately that I had to share this with you because it has ZERO mayo in it. I did add some fresh mozzarella, but you could easily omit that if you are going to have this pasta at a picnic or BBQ and are worried about how long it might be out without refrigeration.
But let's get back to the flavor OK? Holy shizz people! I knew I would like it, but didn't realize I would love, luv, lurrrrrrv it!! The sweetness of the fresh tomatoes, the brightness of the herbs, the little tang from a touch of balsamic vinegar, WOWZERS! I felt like a little piggy when I first tasted it! I just about put the fork down and face planted in my plate! And before you just think that I have lost my mind, I was not the only one. Oh no my friends, my son's fiance felt the same way. We were BBQing brats along with this pasta salad and some fresh watermelon. As soon as she tried this she forwent the brat and decided on a double serving of pasta salad! A girl after my own heart. I <3 you Heather *mmuuaaahhhhh*
So, in closing my darling foodies, if you are looking for a recipe for your next BBQ, picnic, or pot luck, that will travel well and not require refrigeration. PLUS has the fabulous bright taste of summer, you have found your winner, look no further, get to the store and by the ingredients ASAP.
Now, pardon me as I go shove more of thise pasta salad into my snout errrr mouth.
1 year ago - Jalapeno Ham Salad Sandwiches
2 years ago - Sloppy Joses with Avocado Cream
3 years ago - Crab Salad Sandwiches
Pomodoro Fresco (Fresh Tomato) Pasta Salad
Made with Fresh tomatoes and herbs, this is a fresh and light pasta salad that is the perfect side for any picnic or BBQ.
- 2 pounds ripe grape tomatoes
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic (we love garlic), minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound short cut pasta (I used medium shells)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut in chiffonade, save some for garnish
- 2 8-ounce packages of Ciliegine (fresh mini mozzarella balls), drained, or cubed fresh mozzarella cheese
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, parsley, salt, balsamic vinegar, sugar, red pepper flakes, and olive oil to a food processor and pulse until the tomatoes are rough chopped. Let sit for at least 1 hour, to let the flavors meld.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water, according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta. To assemble the salad, add the fresh basil and mozzarella cheese to the bowl with the tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Add the drained pasta and give it a stir to coat, and serve.
Total time: 1 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: tomato, garlic, parsley, pasta, basil, mozzarella cheese
Adapted from The Parsley Thief
Thanks to Marion from Our Life Tastes Good for hosting this awesome event!!
Now for more awesome recipes for "Food That Travels" from our Sunday Supper tastemakers:
- Almond Flour Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Cherry Blueberry Pie by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Pound Cake with Lime Glaze by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Classic Carrot Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- No Bake Banana Pie in a Jar by Our Good Life
- No Bake Millionaire Shortbread Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Oatmeal Raisin Banana Bars by What Smells So Good?
Mains in Motion
- Baby Back Pork Loin Ribs by The Freshman Cook
- BBQ Chicken On The Grill To Go by Family Foodie
- Chicken Salad Skewers by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Cobb Salad in a Jar by Life Tastes Good
- Farro with Eggplant and Tomato by Cooking Chat
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole by Simply Healthy Family
- Pan Bagnat (Provençal Tuna Sandwich) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pastitsio by Food Done Light
- Roasted Vegetable Tart by Adventures in All Things Food
- Spinach Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegan SuperFood Bowl by Sustainable Dad
- Grilled Corn, Bean & Radish Salad by Feeding Big
- Heirloom Tomato Salsa by Nosh My Way
- Parmesan Pasta Salad by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Cherry Crumble No-Bake Energy Bars by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins by Caroline's Cooking
- Energy Balls by Noshing With The Nolands
- Sunflower Seed Oatmeal Bars by Magnolia Days
- 5 Comfort Food Tips by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Do You Shop Amazon?Help support this blog by starting your Amazon shopping here. THANK YOU!!
(Turn off your ad blocker to see link)
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!