Zucchini Fritters with Bacon and Cheese - Fresh grated zucchini fried up crisp with crumbled bacon, cheese, and green onion. The perfect side for any breakfast or brunch.
How is your garden growing?
Mine was a little slow going at first, but now I am getting fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and summer squash, everyday! It is so much fun. But now I am trying to use them in different ways. You can only eat so much roasted, grilled, and sauteed zucchini before that starts to get *yawn* ho hum.
I have been scouring the interwebs, and Pinterest, for ideas, and have found quite a few interesting ones. There is a squash blossom soup that looks pretty tasty, some tarts, bruschetta, etc....so those will be happening soon. YUM!!
But, for today, I wanted to bring you my latest contribution to our weekend breakfast/brunch nomage.
Y'all know that Kevin is the chef on the weekends. I get a rest from the kitchen duties, well the cooking that is, I still have dish duty though . So while he is whipping up some tasty breakie grub, I am usually catching up on a bit of work type stuff (translate that, I am surfing Pinterest drooling over food, looking for cute outfit ideas, and giggling at the funny quotes and cute animals). He usually makes his famous country potato hash, and folks when I tell you it is famous? OoohhEmmGeeee it is rockstar quality. I posted the recipe here a while back, but he has since improved upon it and it is seriously out of this world!
But, like I said, I decided that I wanted to contribute something yummy to the meal, and I decided that yumminess needed to include some of the garden fresh zucchini I have flooding my countertop.
Then of course, as any good breakfast recipe should, it had to have bacon. After that, cheese and green onion just seemed like logical additions to the plan. Aaannnndddd let's just toss in a teensy bit of garlic, for good measure (and to help Kevin's blood pressure).
Mix that all together, fry it to crisp little patties, and plop it down on the plate next to a couple sunnyside up eggs, and fresh fruit?
Yup, one heavenly morning nosh if I do say so myself.
Even if it didn't have Kevin's rock star hash.
It will just have to wait backstage so my sexy zucchini fritters can soak up that spotlight for a while.
Which, with the amount of zucchini I have, will probably be every day for the next month!!
1 year ago - Deluxe Cheeseburger Kabobs
2 years ago - Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
3 years ago - Pasta with Chicken and Garlic Cream Sauce
Zucchini Fritters with Bacon and Cheese
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (2 medium zucchini)
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cheddar/jack cheese, grated
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Greek yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Fresh snipped chives, for serving (optional)
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over the sink. Sprinkle with salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for 20 minutes. Wrap zucchini in a clean dish towel or cheesecloth, and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate, remove the skillet from the heat reserving the bacon fat. When the bacon is cool, chop or crumble it.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, flour, egg, green onions, garlic, and bacon; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Heat the bacon fat in the skillet over medium heat. Using a cookie scooper (a rounded tablespoon), place one scoop of batter for each fritter in the hot skillet, flattening with a spatula, and cook until the underside is nicely golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, about 1-2 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately with yogurt and chives.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 25 mins.
Total time: 37 mins.
Tags: zucchini, bacon, cheese, garlic, green onions, Breakfast
Like this recipe? Here are a few more you might enjoy.
Do You Shop Amazon?Help support this blog by starting your Amazon shopping here. THANK YOU!!
(Turn off your ad blocker to see link)
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!