Oven Baked Dutch Apple Pancake - The perfect breakfast or brunch dish for a cool fall morning!
Are you a breakfast lover?
I am more of a brunch kinda girl.
Mostly because the only time I make a nice breakfast is on the weekends. During the week it is usually a quick omelet with cheese and veggies, eaten while I am working at the computer. #workaholic
But on the weekends I am lazy, and don't want to get up at my normal 4:30 AM. I sleep in as late as possible, and don't really feel like eating until about 10 AM. So that makes it brunch right?
Hhhmmmm no, the time doesn't make it brunch. What is the thing that makes it brunch?
Think....think....think.....OH YA.....BOOZE!! Yup some nice fresh squeezed OJ with crisp prosecco bubbles in it? I am more than happy to cook!
Hey a little reward is nice once in a while right?
The first time I saw this dish was on Paula's Home Cooking a few years back. I thought it was funny because the episode was called "Breakfast in Bed". Paula wakes up with her hubby and says she wants him to bring her breakfast in bed. Then she proceeds to get out of bed, while he stays in bed mind you, and whip up a few tasty breakfast type treats. Then she goes back to bed and they share the food she just made.
Uuummmm excuse me?
Am I the only one that doesn't feel that is how it should go when you ask for breakfast in bed??
Of course if I asked for breakfast in bed I would probably get "the look".
You know the one that says "Have you lost your mind?"
Yup, that one. So I will just go ahead and make it myself.
This recipe called for canned apple pie filling, but canned fillings are sooooo full of sugar. Plus, they are in a can so I decided to cook my fresh apples down to make a fresh filling for the pancake. Which made a filling that was 10xs better than any canned apple filling you could buy!
Once I got this into the oven, Kevin came wandering into the kitchen.
"What are you making?"
"The oven baked Dutch apple pancake I saw on Paula's show"
"Oh, the breakfast in bed one?"
"Yup, that's the one"
"Does that mean you are serving me breakfast in bed?"
"Haha you are a very funny man!"
"Well, you know I try"
"Ya, but I will have something special, just for you"
I love getting the last word!!
2 years ago - Homemade Sloppy Joes
3 years ago - Fresh Peach Bellinis
Oven Baked Dutch Apple Pancake
- 6 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, zested
- Kosher salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add apples and saute 6 minutes or until apples are just tender. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute or until sugar melts.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Add the milk, flour, Greek yogurt, lemon zest, and salt, and beat just until batter is smooth. Pour over the apple mixture in the skillet..
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pancake is puffed up and golden brown. Lightly dust the top of the pancake with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.
Total time: 50 mins.
Tags: apple, breakfast, pancake
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy these.
Do You Shop Amazon?Help support this blog by starting your Amazon shopping here. THANK YOU!!
(Turn off your ad blocker to see link)
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!