Hola mis amigos
I am sooooo proud of myself! You know I love breakfast, but when it comes to my everyday AM noshing, well I tend to get stuck in a rut. Like a "I have eaten this everyday for the last month" ruts.
I make a 2 eggs cheese omelet with some of my Salsa Fresca on top. Bing Bang Boom breakie is made and my butt is at the computer reading email. Borrrrrring. But it is quick, easy, and I cheesy eggs with salsa.
Now, a while back I posted my recipe for Homemade Chorizo. Chorizo and eggs were a common breakfast for me when I lived in San Diego. Well, Mexican food was probably anywhere from 50 to 60% of what I ate, but I totes adored breakfast burritos. I even had eggs, cheese, and cactus burritos!
But did I make breakfast burritos the next day?
Do you know how long it took me to make said burritos?
Yes, 7 whole months before I got my shizz together and made some dang burritos
Buttttt at least I got off my butt and got it done right?
I threw some black beans at the mix because, well because I love black beans, but you could leave them out if the don't float your boat.
But definitely include the salsa!
The bonus is that you can freeze these bad boys for breakfast all through the week!
Chorizo Egg and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
- 2 cups chorizo
- 6 eggs
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- 4 large burrito size tortillas
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Salsa fresca
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, cook the chorizo for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the 6 eggs until whites and yolks are well combined.
- Pour the eggs over the chorizo in the pan and add the black beans.
- Stir until the eggs are completely cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the flour tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Spoon 1/4th of the chorizo mixture into the flour tortilla, top with 1/3 cup shredded cheese, spoon on salsa, and wrap the burrito.
- Optional for crispy burrito, heat the oven to 400 degrees and place burrito seam side down on a baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the tortilla is golden brown and crispy.
- If you want to freeze your burritos for later, wrap them tightly in foil (see Cook's note)
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Total time: 15 mins.
Tags: egg, breakfast, Mexican, burrito, chorizo, black beans
Cook's note - To cook a frozen burrito, you can thaw the burrito overnight in the refrigerator, or you can cook from frozen. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the burrito seam side down on a baking sheet, and cook approx 25 minutes for defrosted burritos, or 45 minutes for frozen. Time may vary slightly for ever oven.
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy these.
Make sure to check out my page on Parade Magazine's Community Table
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!