Happy December y'all
I am soooooo excited! I have broken out my winter sweaters and sweatshirts , we started decorating for Christmas , I am beginning to wrap presents . Cookie baking is on the agenda , and I am already planning what to make for Christmas Eve dinner.
But, believe it or not, we are still working on Thanksgiving leftovers!
I guess it is not shocking when you think that we made a 24 pound turkey this year PLUS a beef tenderloin roast. #indecisive
My motto is, if you can't decide what to make, just make both!
My family seems to like that motto. They always know they are going to be well fed.
But when it comes to leftover turkey or beef, there are only so many sandwiches you can eat before your tastebuds go on strike and demand something different.
Or maybe I just have bossy tastebuds.
So, when I started thinking about what to do with that gorgeous leftover beef roast, I decided I wanted to do a breakfasty kinda dish.
I mean how awesome would it be to wake up to beef, cheesy potatoes, and eggs? #yummyinmytummy
That, my darling foodies, is a great way to get my rear out of bed extra fast!
He mentioned, several times, that his Mom used to use leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast the next day, but had no idea how she made them. So they never made it to our breakfast table.
Then last year I had been making a ton of holiday-ish food for the blog, and ended up with a plethora of potatoes. I mean a butt-ton of them! So I decided that potato pancakes needed to happen.
After testing a few recipes, I finally came up with this one, that of course had a Tex-Mex kinda dealio going on with the cheese and jalapenos.
Since then I made them a teensy bit "gourmet" with purple potatoes, with more Italian flavors, or with just good ol' bacon, green onion, and cheese.
Hands down my fave way I have made them to date! And of course you know Kevin was in heaven because they had beef in them!
I know my Dad would've loved them too. I mean, helloooooo beef, potatoes, and cheese? They were the things he lived to eat!
So if you have leftover beef and taters, and a serious carnivore in your life, make these bad boys for breakfast. Top them with a couple fried eggs for an OhhhEmmmmGeeeeeee breakfast experience!!
Beef and Potato Cakes
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes, cold
- 12 ounces leftover beef roast or steak, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar/jack cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fresh chives, chopped for garnish * see Cook's notes
- Place the potatoes, beef, cheese, eggs, flour, and salt, in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place the panko crumbs in a shallow dish, and form a 1/4 cup scoop into a ball. Press into the breadcrumbs to flatten. Turn over and coat the other side in the breadcrumbs.
- carefully place the patties in the hot skillet. Cook for approx 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Turn the cakes and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate or baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining potato mix.
- Top with fresh chopped chives.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 22 mins.
Tags: beef, potato, cheese, leftovers
*Cook's note - if your leftover mashed potatoes don't already contain chives, you can add fresh chives or green onion to the potato cake mix.
Make sure to check out my page on Parade Magazine's Community Table
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!