Happy V Day
I am not too sure how much romance will be going on around here though, over the last few weeks, it has seemed like a hospital here. Kevin and I both caught that crud that was going around and, well damn, that shizz is hard to get rid of!! I was OK after about 10 days, but Kevin hung on to his for-EVER. Actually, he is still coughing, but said he feels 100 times better than he did.
We caught it from the G-baby, and I guess she got another grandparent sick too. That means she took out 50% of us! Ya, it totally kicked our butts!
So many people were on my case because I didn't get my flu shot this year, but last year I got it and then promptly ended up in the ER because I got the flu so hard and so fast. I had to be put on fluids, and they gave me Tamiflu.
Then I came home, and lived on canned chicken and noodle soup and tea for the next week!
So much for a flu shot, right?
Luckily, or maybe I was being a bit psychic, I had just made my Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup, and a big pot of this Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup. So we lived off of the two of those soups for the next week.
We fell so in love with this soup that Kevin requested I make another batch this week. I am not going to argue. There is something about this soup that just makes me happy. Maybe it is the brightness the lemon gives it. It is like good ol' fashioned chicken noodle with a little "pop" of brightness.
Now that I think about it, I have been drinking my tea with lemon in it since we were sick too.
I guess I have a thing for lemons now
So, when life gives you lemons, make Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup!
Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup
Take your traditional chicken noodle soup to a new level with this Lemon Chicken Noodle Soup. It is light and bright, the perfect soup to chase those winter blues away!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine, like a Pinot Grigio
- 2 quarts chicken stock, (can use store bought)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- In an large soup pot, or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, garlic and onion, and saute until just tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Deglaze with the wine, and then add in the stock, bay leaves and thyme. Add in the chicken, bring to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and let it cool.
- Bring the soup back to a boil and add the orzo. Cook per package directions to al dente. Season, and remove the thyme and bay leaves.
- Shred the cooled chicken and return to the pot along with the lemon zest, juice, and tarragon leaves.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 45 mins.
Tags: lemon, chicken, soup, healthy
Nutritional info via CalorieCount.com
I helped create a cookbook!
Do You Shop Amazon?
Make sure to check out my page on Parade Magazine's Community Table
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!