OK, today I am being selfish. It is an all about me day
Well, it is about me, and you, but definitely not a Kevin day,
Why? Well, because this is a recipe that I made for me, with no worries about Kevin, or anyone else liking it. Yup, I didn't give a flip. Well, maybe a teensy bit, but this salad was calling my name so loud I could barely hear that little voice telling me that he would never eat this.
I mean, I had to think about y'all!
We have been on a quest for healthy lunch alternatives right? Low fat, low sodium, low sugar, high protein, all of those healthy kinda things that make us feel good about what we are eating.
Well my friends, this recipe has it all.
Black beans and quinoa give you that boost of protein that your body needs, otherwise you are wanting to chew your own arm off in an hour because you are hungry again, and, in 1 cup of this salad, they deliver 20 grams of appetite satisfaction.
Also, black beans contain fiber, potassium, folate, and vitamin B6, all while being low in cholesterol, which supports heart health. The fiber in black beans actually helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease. #winning
Now let's chat quinoa shall we?
Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It contains twice as much fiber as most other grains, iron, lysine, B2, and has a high content of manganese. Which, when translate means, it helps to prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure and diabetes, improves energy, and makes you feel fuller for longer. Which means no arm chewing!
It tastes fantabulous!
DUH right? You are like, why in the heck would she be posting all of this if it tasted like cardboard?
I just wanted sound all smart and healthy before I just started babbling on and on about how much I love it,
and how I ate it for lunch,
for two weeks!
blah blah blah
Ya, that kind of stuff.
I don't know about you, but I get all excited when I find something I want to eat that I don't feel bad about eating every day.
Oh how I wish mac and cheese fell into that category
Tex-Mex Black Bean Quinoa Salad
Full of protein, and fiber, this Tex-Mex Black Bean Quinoa Salad fills you up, makes you feel good, and doesn't skimp on taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Cotija cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the stock, quinoa cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Add the spinach and gently toss with the quinoa until wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the corn, black beans black beans, and lime juice.
- Top with crumbled cotija cheese.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 37 mins.
Tags: quinoa, black beans, spinach, corn, healthy, salad, gluten free
Make sure to check out my page on Parade Magazine's Community Table
Like what you see? Please leave me a comment!
Let's stay connected!