OK, I am here to tell you that cauliflower has officially become my new BFF!!
No joke, I can't seem to get enough of it!
But of course that would be the case when you can turn it into these delicious, cheesy, little bites of heaven! Who needs tater tots when there are Cheesy Cauliflower Tots (aka cauli-tots) to be had?
I know I have mentioned it in the past, but here I go again.
I get into food "loops". I say loops because that sound soooo much better than ruts. Plus it really is a better way to describe what I go through because I go back again and again.
My current loops is all things cauliflower.
Things like, , , and ,
Oh don't get me wrong, I am indulging in my pumpkin love, but cauliflower seems to be taking center stage right now. Which is funny when I think about it because I hated, no slash that, I despised cauliflower as a kid.
Even as a teen/young adult, the only way I would eat cauliflower was raw, with tons of ranch dressing. But now, it is like a switch was flipped, and I love it.
The true test was making this recipe, because you boil the cauliflower for a few minutes to soften it, and you know, if you have ever boiled or steamed cauliflower, that is can give off kind of a "funky" smell. That smell used to send me running to my room to bury my face in a pillow when I was a kid!
Meh. Didn't bug me. Yay it looks like I am a grownup right?
Well, we may let the jury stay out on that verdict for a while.
I have to admit that I ate quite a few bites of the raw mixture.
I know, I know, raw eggs and all.......but I just didn't care so sshhhhhhh don't tell. I was quality checking for seasoning.
When I made these the first time I forced myself to save some for everyone else to try. It was tough, but I did it. So when they got home I just popped them back into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes and they were good as new, maybe even a little crispier.
So you know that you could freeze these if you want to make a big batch to have some later.
Or if you are like me and end up craving them at midnight
Cheesy Baked Cauliflower Tots
Step aside potatoes, there is a new tot in town, and you don't have to feel guilty for eating them!
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sriracha (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil, or vegetable oil, and set aside.
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large sauce pot. Add the cauliflower florets, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, just until they are fork tender.
- In a food processor, pulse steamed cauliflower until it is like coarse bread crumbs. Don't go to small or the tots will be mushy.
- Place cauliflower on a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to drain water.
- Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl with egg, cheddar, parmesan, panko, chives, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon approx 1 tablespoon of the mixture into your hand and roll it into a tater-tot shape. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the tots are golden.
- Meanwhile, make spicy ketchup. Combine ketchup and Sriracha in a small serving bowl and stir to combine.
- Serve warm cauliflower tots with spicy ketchup.
Yield: Approx 24 tots
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.